For information on how to join the Waterbury Hospital Auxiliary, call the Auxiliary office at (203) 573-6221.
The Waterbury Hospital Auxiliary, Inc., is the oldest of its kind in Connecticut, created soon after Waterbury Hospital opened its doors.
“To give aid to the Hospital by furnishing clothing, bedding, delicacies, papers, books, pictures and other needed articles.”
That was the mission 40 Waterbury ladies set in 1890 when they joined hearts and hands to create the “Hospital Aid Society,” the first hospital auxiliary in Connecticut.
More than 125 years later, the Waterbury Hospital Auxiliary’s mission remains unchanged. The pattern of commitment and service established by the founding members is followed by our Auxiliary volunteers to this day. Its successes are a tribute to the dedicated women who make the Auxiliary a vital part of their lives.
Since 1983, the Auxiliary has contributed more than $1 million to the Hospital for the purchase of advanced medical and surgical equipment, the construction of new diagnostic facilities and the expansion of patient services. In 2002, the Auxiliary completed a $250,000 contribution toward the establishment of The Harold Leever Regional Cancer Center.
Today, the Auxiliary provides funds to the hospital by generating income from the Gift Shop, the Connecticut State Lottery sales, membership dues, a holiday greeting card fundraiser, baby photography, an Art Corridor displaying art from local artist. The auxiliary also sponsors special programs for children such as the “Teddy Bear” project though which plush toys are donated to children coming to the hospital for tests and procedures.
Since 1990 the Auxiliary has provided scholarships to students in the community pursuing health related education.