Family Birthing and Special Care Nursery
For more information or to arrange a tour, please call (203) 573-6503.
The birth of a child is a precious moment for the mother and a joyous event shared by the entire family. It’s a nurturing process, and our Family Birthing Center nurses and medical staff are here to guide and support you, your family and your new baby.
Choosing Waterbury Hospital
At Waterbury Hospital Family Birth Center our doctors and nurses are committed to making sure that each birth experience reflects the needs of the baby and the desires of the mom and her family. With us, you get the medical expertise and technology to ensure a safe birth, and we have the experience and know how that comes with delivering more than 1,000 babies each year. We give every mom and baby the hands-on care and attention they deserve in a compassionate and soothing environment. This is patient and family-centered care at its best.
Our benefits include:
- 24-hour Anesthesia coverage.
- Our team of board-certified neonatologists and mid-level practitioners is available to evaluate your baby at birth. Our Special Care Nursery is staffed with specially trained NICU nurses and lactation counselors to support you and your baby. The NICU is a Level II Nursery which cares for babies at 28 weeks gestation but also has relationships with tertiary centers if needed.
- All of our patient rooms are private, and we encourage all mothers to room-in with their babies to promote healthy bonding.
- We have a Certified Nurse Midwife service. They provide a low-intervention birth in a family-focused environment.
- Our nurses offer you years of experience and ‘TLC’ during your stay with one-to-one nursing care. Please remember this is your birth and our nurses are here to empower and support you.
- Our Case Manager is available to help you and your family cope with the physical and emotional aspects of pregnancy and the post-partum period.
- You will choose your own area pediatrician who will evaluate and care for your baby after birth. Please call 203-573-6515 for referrals.
- We are affiliated with Yale Maternal Fetal Medicine, which provides care to our high risk patients two days per week and are available as consultants to our OB staff.
- We strongly encourage breastfeeding and have lactation counselors on staff for any question during your stay or after discharge. We strive to make breastfeeding a positive and rewarding experience for you and your family.
- We offer a range of options for pain control which you are welcome to discuss with your primary nurse.
Are you interested in a tour of our facility?
Please call (203) 573-6503. We would like to meet with you and your family to discuss your birth plan and questions.