Breastfeeding Class Schedule
Here at Waterbury Hospital we encourage breastfeeding. We invite all parents to a breastfeeding class held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the West Wing 3B Conference room near out Family Birthing Center. There is a $30 fee per couple waived for couples on state insurance.
For more information call: (203) 573.6503.
Breastfeeding is a great choice to make for you and your baby.
At Waterbury Hospital, our goal is to provide new mothers with the information and support they need to breastfeed as long as they want. Breastfeeding is the best way to nurture and feed a newborn baby. It provides health benefits to the baby that it can get no other way. Breastfeeding also provides benefits to the mother, and it is the most convenient and least expensive way to feed the baby as well.
We recommend to all mothers choosing or considering breastfeeding our prenatal breastfeeding class, which is offered monthly. We also offer telephone support, referrals to community resources when needed, and we encourage mother-to-mother support through a variety of groups available in the community.
We have many registered nurses who are certified lactation counselors. Our goal is to provide new mothers with everything they need for a successful and wonderful breastfeeding experience.
Here are some breastfeeding support services:
- Lactation Services of Southington
Phone: (860) 919-5320
- Breastfeeding Resources http://www.breastfeedingresources.com/
Phone: (203) 375-5812
- La Leche League of Connecticut
Phone: (800) 563-6624
- “Medications and Mother’s Milk”
- Thomas Hale (resource on medications and breastfeeding) http://www.halepublishing.com/
- Connecticut Breastfeeding Coalition http://www.breastfeedingct.org/
It is important to breastfeed early and often, right after delivery if possible. Ask your nurse to help you. Your baby is very alert the first hour after birth. It is important for him/her to get to know you and your smell. Breastfeeding does not always come naturally. It takes patience and practice, but it is worth it for you and your baby.
Benefits for the baby:
- Breastfeeding makes your baby healthier.
- Breast milk is easier for your baby to digest.
- Decreases your baby’s chances for colds, infections and even certain cancers.
- Helps your baby’s brain functions.
- Helps your baby have strong teeth.
- Keeps your baby healthier throughout life.
Benefits for you:
- Breastfeeding will help you get back into shape easier.
- Allows you to get more rest at night because you won’t have to make a bottle and warm it up.
- Gives you special time with your baby.
- Helps you save money! You won’t have to buy formula.
- While your body is busy making milk for your baby you need to stay healthy by:
- Eating healthy foods.
- Getting the rest you need.
- Drinking healthy liquids like milk, water and juice.