We are a Level II Trauma Center staffed 24-hours a day by skilled doctors, nurses and support staff. There are approximately 55,000 visits to our Emergency Department each year. We treat patients of all ages and with the most acute medical conditions. While here, you will receive exceptional care. Our promise is to keep you, the patient, first.
- When seconds count, we provide exceptional cardiac care including EKG transmission direct from the ambulance.
- Our state-of-the –art Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory ensures prompt care for patients with acute heart symptoms.
- Winner of the 2015 American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award for the highest standards of care for stroke patients.
- We offer 24-hour Diagnostic Imaging with the latest state-of-the-art equipment. Dedicated bedside technology enables convenient early diagnosis.
- We offer 24-hour Behavioral Health crisis management and triage services for adolescents and adults. We feature the area’s only specialized inpatient units for the Behavioral Health treatment of adolescents.
- Medical helicopter transport is available for acute patients in partnership with Yale New Haven Hospital’s SkyHealth helicopter and Hartford Hospital’s LIFE STAR helicopter.
Your visit here:
When you arrive, you will be asked to sign-in and provide the reason for your visit to the Emergency Department.
A nurse will take your vital signs and ask you more detailed questions about your symptoms and medical history.
Our doctors will examine you and order additional tests required for accurate diagnosis.
Visiting the ED with Children
We treat the littlest patients as well as adults. We recognize that bringing a child for emergency treatment can be difficult. Many of our emergency department staff members are parents too. Based on your child’s age, there are different approaches and distractions we can provide. For example, we have videotapes, toys, crayons and books. Please do not hesitate to ask. We are here to help our littlest patients in any way we are able.
Admission to the Hospital
Please be assured that while in our emergency department, you will receive exceptional treatment and care. If the decision is made that you require admission to the hospital, our staff will arrange for a bed.
The ED physician will review your care and diagnosis. You will get discharge instructions called “Aftercare Instructions.” The nurse or doctor will carefully explain your instructions, your medical prescriptions and will answer any questions about your care
SOME HELPFUL HOSPITAL RESOURCES
- Televisions are located in the waiting room and several of the emergency department treatment rooms.
- Snack machines are located in the alcove entrance of the waiting room. The cafeteria is located on the first floor.
- The coffee bar is located in the main lobby. If you are waiting to be seen, please ask the triage nurse if you can eat or drink before the doctor sees you.