You may want to have a cradle or bassinet close to you in the first weeks. Safety for your baby is important.
Following are some things to look for when choosing a bed for your baby to sleep:
- Look for a wide bottom so that it does not tip over.
- Surfaces should e smooth and have no staples, nails
or sharp objects that could hurt the baby.
- It should have a firm mattress that fits snuggly.
When you move your baby to a crib, be aware of the following safety measures:
- The space between the slats should be no more than 2-3/8″ apart to prevent a baby from getting stuck.
- Be careful with hand-me-down or antique cribs. They may have lead paint or decorative cutouts that are dangerous for babies.
- Make sure the mattress is snug. If you can fit 2 fingers between the mattress and the crib, then you need to get a new mattress for the baby’s safety.
- Consider putting the baby in a sleeper instead of using a blanket to cover him at night.
- Always place your baby on his/her back in a crib with a firm, tight-fitting mattress.